Saturday, December 24, 2011

The Older Saint


We really did not know what we were getting into. We were green as could be. We had never been on a mission trip without "adult" supervision. Before we left, my father had given me an email of a missionary that he knew. Corey sent this missionary an email to let him know of our plans to study in Guatemala. When we arrived at the airport there he was. The older missionary was there waiting for us. I was amazed at his hospitality and generosity. He drove us to a city where we could catch a bus for our school. He bought us supper and spoke encouraging words to our ears. He would not leave until we were settled in a hotel and had a plan for our transportation the next day. The missionary lived hours away from the airport. I was amazed at his sacrifice of time and money to help us in our time of need. I still remember his words; "we got to get you boys to the mission field." There was an urgency in his voice that I did not understand. He comprehended the importance of my obedience to Christ more than I did. He did not know me, we had never talked, but still he treated me like I was his son. My dear brother in Christ has now received his eternal reward. And now that I have a few years under my belt and a different perspective on life, I am beginning to understand the responsibility he felt to God to help us “get to the mission field.” This is how we replace ourselves. This is how we pass the torch.


No comments:

Post a Comment