Monday, April 7, 2014

Be Last


First read John 13:3-17

The Story of Jesus washing the feet of his disciples is as shocking today as when it happened. What kind of a leader chooses to wash the ones he leads. What would people say if the President of the United States was caught secretly washing the feet of his cabinet? Most people would not understand. Some of you have seen people wash the feet of others. What did you think? When Jesus washed his friends' feet there were no cameras there, he was not even on a stage. Anyone who has worn sandals all day knows that the disciples' feet needed washing. Jesus was doing what needed to be done. Normally, servants did this type of thing. What was Jesus doing? Was he a servant? Yes, he was. He served and was treated like a servant. He taught others to serve. I am reminded of this every time I give my one year old son a bath. I wash his little feet and he laughs. I have to wash my son's feet. He can chew on his feet and play with his feet but he can't wash his feet. This is what Peter finally understood. There are places only Jesus can reach. We can't wash the sin off our hearts. We need Jesus to wash us so we can be apart of him. It takes a lot of humility to say I can't do it, I need to be like a child and have the father bathe me.

No comments:

Post a Comment