Monday, April 7, 2014

To Write or Not to Write

  
        
       
My blogging hiatus has finally timed out. To set at a computer and put thoughts to blog was more than I could manage for nearly a year. I questioned many of my superficial beliefs about life, relationships, ministry, even writing. The core beliefs stayed in place but much of the practical side of living came into question. I would like to include a few things that helped me move past blogger's block.
Time: I have found that time really does help to heal most things. One of the best pieces of advise           I received during my dreadlocked years was that time would fix a bad dread, it true. Time allows one to step back and see the panorama of life as it unfolds. It is easy to focus on the negative, when taking things one difficult day at a time. But, step back and let some time pass and look at life from a broader point of view and honestly, the good days out weight the bad and things don't look so dim. Writing takes inspiration. Inspiration is like fuel. It runs out if not replenished. Often, we simply need time to rest and time to find a renewed inspiration. 
Reading: The older I get the more time I spend with my face in a book. I try to read broadly and keep up a steady diet of novels, nonfiction (i.e. biography, history, theology) and science. I have discovered so much of human nature in reading novels and science books at the same time. G. B. Shaw has taught me to not judge all people by my "middle class morality" and S. Pinker has taught me to look at life as the interplay of constants and variables. Hugo taught me beauty. Twain taught me humor. Hemingway taught me wonder. Chomsky taught me to question. Melville taught me the art of reading. And B. Franklin taught me resolve. The most inspiring novel I have ever read is most certainly by Curt Iles. The book changed my life, but not by prose nor plot. Curt is my dear friend. He now spends his time making the message and person of Jesus more knowable to the people of equatorial Africa through his work in refugee camps touching the lives of many from DRC, South Sudan, and Uganda. I had never read a novel written by a friend until now. I guess I always thought books came form the printers of publisher, not the minds of men, women, teachers, shopkeepers, politicians, and a few missionaries. Curt puts his pants on the same way I do and if he can put words down to screen, maybe I could as well. 
Communication: There are a few people in my life that truly help me to sort out my thoughts. I have a good friend of mine that has that talent. We have a good conversation about once a month and swap emails about twice that often. He has a unique ability of asking the right questions, which directs my line of thought and allows me to come to my own conclusions. Another such person, is my father. I talk with my father once a week. The conversations are always insightful and wise. My father's openness gives me an advantage over most men. Benjamin Franklin once said, Any old fool can learn from his mistakes, it is a wise man that can learn from the mistakes of others. My father's vulnerability has fostered many deep conversations. He is direct, yet caring and always empathetic. He doesn't hesitate to offer a gentle rebuke when needed. We all have those people in our lives. However, it can be a challenge finding those people in a sea of acquaintances. 
Hardware: For me writing is spontaneous. It is difficult to make myself write when I am not "in the mood," I have always been like this. But, when the mood hits me I need to write it down. Year before last, my wife bought for me an iPad mini. This has been a great little device for keeping up to date on social media. Recently, I bought a Logitech keyboard for my iPad a

nd a few days ago, I downloaded the Blogger app, I am using it now. The combination of hardware and software gives me the ability to write when it suits and publish when I have internet.                                                                       

No comments:

Post a Comment